2nd Sarawak Business & Investment Summit
Covering a land area of 124,000km2, Sarawak is the largest state in Malaysia. Rich in natural resources, the state is one of the largest exporter of tropical timber globally and possesses vast reserves of oil, natural gas, and minerals such as silica sand, kaolinitic clay and coal. Sarawak’s contribution to Malaysia’s overall GDP is approximately 10%. It aims to become a high-income state by 2020 and the richest state in the country by 2030. The Second Minister of Finance, YB Dato’ Sri Wong Soon Koh expected the services (tourism and utilities), construction and manufacturing sectors to drive Sarawak’s GDP growth this year, which is projected at 4%. Though important, mining and quarrying as well as agriculture are expected to record slower growth. Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Adenan Satem, Chief Minister of Sarawak highlighted his administration’s focus on infrastructure especially the Pan Borneo Highway Project to bring about rapid development and open up greater economic opportunities, as well as on rural development to close the urban-rural economic divide.
The 2nd Sarawak Business & Investment Summit will be a timely platform to assess the government’s expectations for the services (tourism and utilities), construction and manufacturing sectors to drive Sarawak’s GDP growth this year as mining and quarrying as well as agriculture slows down; and to provide strategic direction to both the private and public sectors to capitalise on the rapid development of the state.
The summit aims to provide an up-to-date economic outlook to help industry captains, entrepreneurs and regulators reassess their plans in the near and medium terms to achieve their respective business goals and the state’s lofty ambitions. Key areas to be covered under the Sarawak Corridor of Renewable Energy (SCORE) are the priority sectors of tourism, construction, manufacturing and agriculture.
Who Should Attend?
- Industry Captains (Chairmen, Presidents, Board of Directors, CEOs, MDs)
- Industry Players and entrepreneurs in tourism, construction, manufacturing and agriculture
- Senior Government Officials
- Investors, Analysts, Economists, Researchers and Consultants
- Anyone interested in business and investment opportunities in Sarawak
- Gain insights on business and investment opportunities and challenges in Sarawak particularly in the sectors of tourism, construction, manufacturing and agriculture to assist in your organisation’s strategic planning
- Learn from industry experts on the critical areas to look out for as Sarawak progresses toward its goal of becoming a high-income state and the nation’s richest state
- Participate in the platform to voice your concerns to key policymakers and play a role in shaping the economic future of Sarawak
- Take advantage of unique opportunities to broaden your network and form partnerships